1 Thessalonians 2:16-17

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord:

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Oops, I Was Wrong

[The following is the writer's interpretation of a future event.]

Sitting in my recliner, enjoying a cold one, I have been waiting for the NFL playoffs. The announcers are all excited and saying what a great match-up this is going to be. I can hear the crowds in the background cheering and chanting. My heart is pumping as I'm watching the action on the screen.

My team is getting ready to score a touchdown, I just know it. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat. The quarterback avoids the blitz, his favorite receiver is open, he throws a long pass. I breathlessly watch the ball sail through the air. Suddenly, everything changes, everything is deathly quiet.

The football lands harmlessly on the ground, right beside what appears to be - wait, that's the receivers uniform lying on the ground, complete with his pads and his cleats. Now the camera is scanning over the field to where the quarterback had been. The quarterback is gone, leaving his uniform behind as is the defender who was trying to tackle him. It looks like quite a few players are also missing as teammates are stopped in their tracks, stunned by what they see. The crowd is still silent, but only for a moment. Seats are empty, children are missing. Then people start screaming.

Back in the announcer's booth, the announcer is stammering, unable to describe what is happening. He turns to his friend in the booth, but finds only his clothes, watch, and glasses. The cup of coffee he had been holding has fallen to the ground. The announcer screams his friend's name then - it sounds like he's crying.

The TV screen changes to a local new station. They're in a panic. Reporters and cameramen are missing, their clothes lying in piles all over the newsroom. News reports start pouring in from all over the world. This appears to have happened everywhere. It seems like there was no country untouched.

Now the TV screen is showing images from a local traffic helicopter. The images are horrible. Cars are careening on the interstate, crashing into other vehicles and over guardrails. An 18-wheeler carrying fuel is out of control and rams into a minivan then jackknifes onto a station wagon, bursting into flames. Other cars are scrambling to get out of the way, not knowing which way to go.  It's mass chaos and it's happening all over the country and all over the world.

Suddenly, the camera pans out to a 747 that seems to be flying low. It's not flying low, it's falling to the ground. I watch as it crashes into a major shopping mall and bursts into flames. Now, there's another plane. It's falling too. I watch helplessly as it crashes into the downtown area.

I want to turn away. I want to stop watching. This must be a dream - a nightmare. What is happening?

Then I remember what a dear friend once told me. She was telling me about Jesus and how He was going to come back for His Church. She tried to explain Jesus' love for us and how He wants us to save us from our sins be with Him. I told her that I wasn't a "church person". I'm a good person. I believe in God.

So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God." Matthew 19:17a (NKJV)

As it is written: There is none righteous, no, not one; Romans 3:10 (NKJV)

I help my neighbors, feed the homeless, and give to charity. I didn't need religion or a church to do all of that. She tried to explain that it wasn't enough, that no one was good enough or holy enough for Heaven. We needed to repent of our sins and ask Jesus to save us. I ended up changing the subject.

Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Matthew 7:21 (NKJV)

39] This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day. 40] And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day. John 6:39-40 (NKJV)

She was right - I was wrong.

16] For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17] Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 (NKJV)

51] Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed - 52] in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53] For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 1 Corinthians 15:51-53 (NKJV)

Jesus came for His Church and I was left behind.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16 (NKJV)

Now am I saying the rapture is going to happen during the NFL playoffs?  Of course not. I just used that as a possible scenario. But the question should be, can it? Of course it can. But I can tell you one thing, if it does happen then, I won't be seeing the rest of the game and you know what? I have a feeling I'm not going to care.

God willing, until next time

Maranatha

1 comment:

  1. Nice writing! And may I add, it is a good thing that the Lord is patient with us, wishing that none of us would perish, but come to repentance. Will the world be ready? Probably not, but those who are His church need to be ready...because the Lord is not slow in keeping His promises...He is very timely...and what a day that will be when it does arrive! It keeps me keenly aware that the only things that really matter (that will go on beyond this world) are people and the Word of God...everything else will burn.

    ReplyDelete