1 Thessalonians 2:16-17

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord:

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

And Now a Word From Our Sponsor

After my ramblings about TV and Oprah yesterday, I decided to go with one more thought.

I have a confession to make. I have a guilty pleasure: I ENJOY TV. Yes, it's true - that evil, time-consuming box that sits in my living room and in several other rooms in my house.

During the winter, I enjoy checking out some of the new shows. Then I watch football and occasionally basketball, especially the Ohio State Buckeyes. In the summer, I've got to watch my Cleveland Indians, even if they lose (which seems to be often lately). There there are channels like Discovery, History, and Science Discovery. Of course, The Weather Channel is a must-have for me.

(I hear you thinking - she's rambling. Where is she going with this?)

Commercials

Have you ever thought about the commercials we watch? We, who are Christians, are often warned, or sometimes told, what we should watch: which shows are family friendly and which ones we should avoid. But, who warns us of commercials?

Worried about your retirement portfolio? Want to improve your financial future? Use our financial service. Don't trust money? Then buy gold.

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. (1 Timothy 6:10) (NKJV)

Want to be successful in your life, find your one true love, or make your children happy? Our smart phone is the fastest.

No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon. (Matthew 6:24) (NKJV)

And of course we can't forget - if you want to be a real man, drink our beer.

Woe to those who rise early in the morning, That they may follow intoxicating drink; Who continue until night, till wine inflames them! (Isaiah 5:11) (NKJV)

Still not sure where this is going? Materialism - Stuff - Junk: What good is all of this in eternity?

31] “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32] For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33] But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. (Matthew 6:31-33) (NKJV)

How about watching a beautiful couple, frolicking on a warm, sunny beach, while you're shivering in snow and ice?  Feeling envy? (Yep, my hand is raised.)

You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.” (Exodus 20:17) (NKJV)

Find the right man/woman and see how much enjoyable you life will be if you only drink our alcohol. Feeling tempted?

And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil. (Luke 11:4) (KJV)

Okay, what does all of this have to do with end times?

Apostasy - The Church of the Laodiceans

15] I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16] So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot,I will vomit you out of My mouth. 17] Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked — (Revelation 3:15-17) (NKJV)

We, as the Church, have become preoccupied with stuff, with things of the world. Now, there's nothing wrong with having stuff. Personally, I enjoy all the modern conveniences I have. Yes, I want a smart phone. Yes, I want a new computer that is faster and doesn't freeze up every hour. But do I really need a fancier car with all the modern, technological gadgets that can parallel park itself? Do I really need a bigger, fancier house when the house I have keeps me safe, dry, and warm?

19] “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20] but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21] For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Matthew 6-19-21) (NKJV)

Now, I don't blame the advertisers. If I had a product to sell, I would make it look so good that everyone would feel they had to have one. We just need to stop and think about God's purpose in our lives when we watch these commercials.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. (Matthew 6:33) (NKJV)

Come to think about it, we do have something to "sell". We have something that we want everyone to want. Salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. And the good thing about it is - it's free.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. (John 3:16) (NKJV)

Now, for that miracle cream that will make me look years younger - no thank you. Soon I will have a glorified body. Come Lord Jesus.

God willing, until next time

Maranatha

3 comments:

  1. I agree about the commercials. The way we get around them is to use the DVR feature on our TV service. We record the show we want to watch and edit out all the commercials. I see that you like sporting events - how about hockey? Are you a Blue Jacket fan? I have to admit, hockey is our biggest amusement, esp. in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't watch much hockey anymore. I used to when I was a kid. I usually stick with football because I can have it on and not stay glued to the TV. Also, it's usually only on a couple nights a week. I'm trying to wean myself away from TV, except for The Weather Channel. But I do notice the commercials. Unfortunately I don't have a DVR so I'm stuck with them. If one comes on that I can't stand, I'll either leave the room or change the channel. Then there are other I just laugh at and other where I just shake my head because of the worldview it represents. It's been a learning process for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I could watch TV without some way to edit the garbage (commercials) out. We like to watch hockey, but then they insert a commercial into the mix about a dating website that (if you sign up with them) you can hook up with all the handsome guys and gals you want...more than one in the same nite...isn't that what every young person wants? Yeah, that kind of trash bugs me, but we try and use it as a teaching opportunity for our kids (15 & 10).

    ReplyDelete