1 Thessalonians 2:16-17

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord:

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

How Well Do You Train?

24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. 26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified. 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (NKJV)

As he watched athletes training for and competing in their games, Paul saw an illustration of the struggles and victories of the Christian life. Although our final victory over death through Christ is always assured, we must strive for daily victory over the issues and temptations we face now.

We discipline ourselves, not in order to earn salvation, but to experience the joy and victory God intends for us now!



Look hard at your spiritual life. Are you vigorously participating in the game, barely keeping pace, or merely watching from the stands?**




So what are we training for? We train for the day to day battles that the Christian walk entails.

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Ephesians 6:12 (NKJV)

 The enemy is always prepared to put obstacles in our way. He wants to distract us from the Word of God. He wants to cause us to stumble in order to ruin our witness. He will do whatever he can to stop us from bringing another soul into the Kingdom of God. He wants to see us discouraged, depressed, and just ready to give up. He wants to see us hide within the four walls of our church on Sunday and then obsess about the football game a few hours later. He wants us to care more about our feelings of inadequacy or friend's feelings of being offended than our feelings for the Lord and having a heart for the lost. 


How do we train?


13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— 19 and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak. Ephesians 6:13-20 (NKJV)



So, what do you do when the enemy does attack?

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. James 4:7 (NKJV)


Now before anyone thinks that I'm pointing fingers at anyone, let me explain. I wrote this for myself. There are none of us who are exempt from the wiles of the enemy. I worry more when the enemy isn't attacking because that means that I'm not active and, therefore, not a threat. Do I look forward to these attacks? Absolutely not. It appears that the enemy knows everyone of my weaknesses and will use it against me. But I have hope because:


You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 1 John 4:4 (NKJV)


So pray without ceasing, stay in the Word of God, and never be afraid to reach out to prayer warriors to intercede if you feel overwhelmed. Be blessed.


God willing, until next time
Maranatha

**Courtesy from God's Daily Promise

No comments:

Post a Comment