1 Thessalonians 2:16-17

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord:

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Prayer

In this manner, therefore, pray:
      Our Father in heaven,
      Hallowed be Your name.

       10 Your kingdom come.
      Your will be done
      On earth as it is in heaven.

       11 Give us this day our daily bread.
       12 And forgive us our debts,
      As we forgive our debtors.

       13 And do not lead us into temptation,
      But deliver us from the evil one.
      For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.
Matthew 6:9-11 (NKJV)

I believe that one of the most misunderstood things in our Christian walk is prayer. There are many who believe that there is something mystical about praying to God. Let me tell you about prayer. Prayer is a wonderful privilege God has given us to communicate with Him. Prayer is not some mystical experience, it is not magical words, it is simply our communication directly with God. You do not need another person to talk to God. You do not need a special formula to go to God. You do not need exact words to talk to God. Just talk to Him the same way you would your very best friend, which is exactly what God is.

One of the most popular books in recent times was the book "The Prayer of Jabez." This is a great "model for prayer", much like the anchor verse ... given to us by Jesus is a "model for prayer". The sad thing ..., many people think that there is some magical formula in the Prayer of Jabez. First, in proper context, it is the Biblical account of ONE person's prayer to God. The most important fact is, it is a great example of how ONE person communicated with their Creator. After all, that is what prayer is. The sad thing to me is how many people think that there is something "magical" about this prayer. **

It is no more special to God the time that it was uttered, than what you pray to God for. The most special prayer to God is when you talk to Him openly and honestly from your heart. It is you, in your open and honest way, asking Him for the desires of your heart, that God is interested in.

You don't have to say specific "magic" words, you don't have to be in a certain physical position to talk to God. Just simply take a few minutes, talk to God just like you are talking to your mom, your dad, you husband, your wife, or your best friend. Spill your heart to God. Be open and honest, since He knows anyway. All prayer is, is talking with God. There are no magic words, no magic formulas; it is simply you talking to God. **

Personally, here's what I do. I've been known to pray while driving down the road, pretending Jesus is sitting right next to me. I pray at my computer, especially when I see prayer requests come through on my facebook posts. I pray in the cool of a summer night, when it's quiet and I'm alone, sitting on my front yard swing. I pray before I fall asleep for all the things that are on my mind. I've been known to talk out loud, as if Jesus is right there beside me, which I know He is. And I feel at peace, knowing He is listening.

So don't be afraid to pray. When you feel like you need to talk to someone, instead of calling your best friend, call on Jesus and just start talking. He will listen. Just remember, the answers may vary. Sometimes the answer will be "Yes", sometimes the answer will be "Wait", and sometimes the answer will be "No" because God has something else in mind.

20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. Matthew 18:20 (KJV)
(Father, Son, and Holy Spirit)


God willing, until next time

Maranatha

** some texts taken from www.liveprayer.com by Bill Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment